Stars add to the drama on ramp: KJo

• Work-from-home

Huda

ĂĸŠ έ ĶĦυşЊŎŏ
VIP
Jan 30, 2009
Karachi

Delhi is the fashion capital of the country. The fashion story of India began in Delhi. And I personally find Delhi a very, very stylish city. Fashion is the strength of this city,” says Bollywood bigwig Karan Johar, who will be coming to the capital soon for his debut at the forthcoming Men’s Week, along with designer Varun Bahl.

His debut at the last Couture Week, in Mumbai, brought buddies Shah Rukh and Gauri Khan to flaunt his creations on the ramp. One expects the duo to be here in Delhi too, to support and cheer for KJo. Or if not them, some Bollywood presence for sure; maybe Imran and Sonam? Quiz him about prospective Bollywood showstoppers, and hear him speak! At first he says, “Who knows? Let’s see.” After further prodding, he says, “We might not have any Bollywood presence at all this time.” Reason? “I don’t believe in giving people what is expected. Give them the unexpected, and that will be something different,” he explains, “We would do with models; that would suffice.” Does this come from the belief that a star presence takes away focus from designs and the designer? “Not at all,” he replies, “In fact, I believe a Bollywood celeb presence always and always complements the show and never takes the attention away from anything. It always adds to the high element of drama one needs on the ramp. We are a country of cricket and films, and I am a firm believer of that. Honestly, I don’t think there is anything wrong in loving the two. Cricket and Bollywood always contribute to not just fashion, but almost everything, and it’s a good idea to have that in your initiative. The only people who mind that are the fashion cynics and those who don’t get anyone to walk for them.”