Murray beats Roddick to win Qatar Open

• Work-from-home

dream girl

Khwabon se bahre Naina
VIP
Jul 30, 2008
ITALY
DOHA, Qatar (AP)—Andy Murray downplayed talk that he’s the favorite heading into the Australian Open after his successful defense of the Qatar Open title.
The fourth-ranked Murray defeated No. 8 Andy Roddick 6-4, 6-2 Saturday to win his first ATP title of the year, and ninth overall.
En route to the title, the Scotsman beat Roger Federer in the semifinals. He also defeated Federer and top-ranked Rafael Nadal last week in an exhibition in Abu Dhabi.
With the Australian Open starting in Melbourne on Jan. 19, Murray heads into the first major of 2009 in fine form.
“I feel good going into the Australian Open but after what happened last year, I don’t want to get too carried away,” Murray said. “I am one of the top guys, but I don’t know if I am the favorite at the Australian Open. There is Roger, Rafa and Novak (Djokovic), who won last year.”
A year ago, Murray lost in the first round to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who eventually reached the final.
He travels to Australia after a convincing win against Roddick.
Murray broke Roddick to go up 3-2 in the opening set, and used two more breaks in the second to take a 4-1 lead. Roddick’s only break-point chance came with Murray serving for the match, but the Scotsman saved it with an ace and clinched the title with a backhand winner down the line.
“He’s in top form right now,” Roddick said. “I think he is capable of winning the big ones.”
Murray wasn’t broken in the semifinals or final, and showed no sign of the back injury which bothered him against Federer.
“I am not close to my best tennis,” Murray said. “But if I play my best tennis, then I can beat the top players.”
Roddick was impressed with Murray, and seemed satisfied with his week in Qatar.
“He was hitting great balls,” Roddick said. “But I am happy with my form. I made him beat me. I didn’t give it away so easily. It was a successful week for me.”