Famous, Or Infamous, Moments In Debates

• Work-from-home

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada

During the latest GOP debate, Republican candidate Rick Perry stumbled in a now infamous moment. The Texas governor went blank while announcing the three federal agencies he would target to tame the budget deficit. “Oops,” he proclaimed after stammering for 43 seconds, trying to recall the third one.

Since debates were first televised debate in 1960, certain moments in debates have become milestones in campaign history, some even costing a candidate the election, or at least the weekend polls. The following slides highlight the memorable moments of past presidential debates.​

Looks do matter
The first televised debate between Senator John F. Kennedy and Vice President Richard Nixon had an audience of 80 million and was a defining moment in the election. Although Nixon was known as an excellent debater, Kennedy, with his calm composure and with the help of a make-up artist, looked confident and young. Nixon, who applied no make-up, perspired under the heat of the camera lights. Although Nixon held his own in the comments, Kennedy emerged as the star.​

Ford's Cold War gaffe
It's a telling moment when a president comes across as less intelligent than his relatively unknown opponent who has little foreign policy experience. In 1976, Gerald Ford lost ground in the polls to Carter by saying that "there is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe and there never will be under a Ford administration." He ended up retracting the comment.​

There you go again
Incumbent candidate President Jimmy Carter lead in polls going into this 1980 debate, but Ronald Reagan took the lead with a debate victory. When Carter mentioned Reagan's record as governor, Reagan calmly said with a smile, "There you go again." The moment highlighted Reagan's confident and cheerful persona, which won over voters.​

Reagan's quick quip
When younger Senator Walter Mondale tried to use Ronald Reagan's age against him in the 1984 election, he must have been startled when Reagan completely turned it around by saying, "I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." It was obvious that Reagan's quick quip scored points when Mondale himself responded with laughter. That November, the Minnesota senator endured a resounding defeat.​

The zinger that zinged all
Perhaps the most famous vice presidential debate came in 1988 between Senator Lloyd Bentsen from Texas and Senator Dan Quayle from Indiana. To defend his lack of experience, Quayle cited President John F. Kennedy's experience before becoming president. In a quick and intense response, Bentsen said: "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy."​

Never let them see you sweat
During the debate between Vice President George H.W. Bush and Governor Michael Dukakis in 1988, it quickly became apparent the difficulty Bush was having keeping up with the governor. He frequently wiped his brow with a handkerchief during the debate. Although Bush won the election, Dukakis won huge points for his debating victories.​

It's the economy, stupid
One of the biggest issues in the 1992 election season was, like in 2008, the economy. President George H. W. Bush was trying to dispel the notion he was out of touch with the American people. However, he lost points when an audience member asked him a question about the recession's effect on him. Uncomfortable, Bush kept looking at his watch. It was a bad move for him and it helped boost Clinton's campaign, which was focused on the economy.​