Diy Number Detective Game For Kids

• Work-from-home

Ziddi_anGel

Super Star
Aug 23, 2013
●♥ღ ÐязαmℓάиÐ ღ♥●
DIY Number Detective Game for Kids

Today we are detectives. You won’t need a magnifying glass or a tweed cap, but you will need to raid your recycling barrel and get ready for some number fun!

KneeBouncers, our sponsor, challenged us to play with numbers this week. If you missed our play with letters, please check out the alphabet zipline. We take our play seriously around here {giggle} and feel we are up to the challenge!

Make a Number Game
What I wanted to create was a series of 10 containers that couldn’t be peeked into as the basis for this game. For me, that happened to be a bunch of empty water bottles from our recycling bin. First my boys and I removed the labels from the bottles.

I found a gallon of old house paint in the attic and dipped the water bottles into the paint to obscure the view into the bottle. Using a base of folded cardboard, I poked 10 pencils through to make a drying rack to contain the drips:

Once the bottles were dry, we grabbed 55 pennies and 55 marbles.

The marbles go into the bottles:

1. The first bottle has 1 marble.
  2. The second bottle has 2 marbles.
  3. The third bottle has 3 marbles.
  4. You are sensing a pattern here, huh? Go ahead and fill all the bottles ending with the 10th bottle having 10 marbles.
Place the cap on the water bottle. If you have small kids that will be playing with this, gluing the cap is advised.

You could use any containers you have around the house or if you don’t feel like painting, covering the bottles with construction paper could work well too.

Play a Number Game
The object of the game is to put the bottles in order from 1 marble inside to 10 marbles inside by using your detective skills:

• How heavy is the bottle?
  • How many marbles does it sound like there are inside when you shake it?
  • How does that compare to the one you just evaluated?
Number Detective Game for Younger Players
Pick out 2 or 3 of the bottles that have a wide difference in the number of marbles inside like: 1, 5 and 10.

Have the player put the bottles in order and then guess how many marbles are inside by counting out that many pennies and setting them next to the bottle.

If they identified the order correctly, then hand them another bottle to see if they can figure out where it might fit.

Number Detective Game for Older Players
Mix up all the bottles and have them put them in order.

If they identified the order correctly, then remove 2 of the bottles and mix them up again. Have the player try and guess which numbers were removed.

More Play with Numbers
KneeBouncers has all sorts of fun number games in their super fun Great Play with Purpose iPad App {many of them are free}. They are also featuring some fun play with numbers ideas from fellow bloggers on their website {like this adorable Penguin Number Game from our friend Megan over at Coffee Cups and Crayons}.

Also, you can follow the #KneeBouncersPlay hashtag on Twitter, KneeBouncers on FB, Twitter as @KneeBouncers and on Pinterest for more learning play!

@Fanii @NiRaaLi_Man0