• Work-from-home

Pari

(v)i§§· ßµølï ßµð£ï¨
VIP
Mar 20, 2007
Toronto, Canada
"Katrina Kaif is fun to work with and cool and so is Imran." – Ali Zafar
talks to Ali Zafar about his cameo in the newly released Yash Raj Film,
Luv Ka The End, working with Katrina Kaif, Aditya Chopra and much more…

How did the team up with Bumpy (director of Luv Ka The End) happen all of a sudden?

Luv Ka The End is a film produced by Y-films which is a new youth division that Yash Raj Films have launched. It happened while I was shooting for Mere Brother Ki Dulhan. Ashish Patel, the Vice President of Y Films, met up with me through YRF. He is an extremely sweet fellow. He explained the kind of film that they were trying to make and that they wanted a real-life music star to do the role of the biggest rock star in the country namely Freddie Kapoor in the movie. I met the director Bumpy and heard the story of the film and how this role was placed and took my time to think. I also told Ashish that I would do it if I like the song. When I heard the demo, I liked it and after pondering over it for a few days, I decided to take it on. I thought that the song needed a different vocal texture so I decided to sing it like that, and with good understanding with the music director Ram, we managed to wrap it up in half an hour. He looked excited and overjoyed after the dub. I also didn’t want to sing it just standing straight into the mic so I held the mic stand and just swayed away with it like rockstars do and how Elvis did in live concerts to create that mood.

But aren’t you a pop-star?

I think it’s good to be versatile and as a singer one should be able to sing all kinds of genres.

Tell us about your character in the flick, Luv Ka The End?

My character in the film is called Freddie Kapoor who appears at the climax of the film as a special guest appearance. What he does in that climatic moment of the film is for you to wait and see.

Why did you take a cameo when you’re already in the lead cast of Mere Brother Ki Dulhan, another YRF Film?

I was thinking to myself one day while watching a film in the cinema that it would be nice to do a film where I just appear at the end to set things right. A week later, this role came about. Since, it had me more as who I am, I found it exciting. Plus, it was also the way they asked me to do it, with so much respect and admiration.

What do you think about Luv Ka The End as a movie?

It’s a fresh, upbeat, contemporary film directed towards the college going youth. I hope you all like the song and the film.

How was the experience of working with the of Luv Ka The End team?
The shoot was a lot of fun. The entire team was great fun to work with and I had a ball shooting for it. The other actors including the female lead Shraddha are all very talented and great to work with and I wish them all the best for the film.

How did you find working with Aditya Chopra, Katrina Kaif and Imran Khan?

Aditya is a gem and knows the business of filmmaking to the core. Ali Abbas Zafar, the director, is a great guy, very funny and a breeze to work with. Katrina is fun to work with and cool and so is Imran.

What is the difference when working in India as compared to Pakistan?

India has developed its film industry as one with consistency. There are unions for everyone related to it like union for make up artists, extras, actors etc.

Pakistan has enormous talent but no infrastructure which has resulted in the decay of its film industry over decades with such great talent going to waste due to lack of nourishment. Nobody has ever sat down to formulate a game plan that would sustain cinemas and films and enable the industry to produce beneficiary results.

You released your new album in India via Yash Raj Music. How difficult is it breaking into the Indian music market?

There is no real room for private albums right now in India since music channels are dominated by reality TV content. Bollywood also takes up all the airtime. But, despite that the album has done great. For the first time in my life I have actually received royalty.

Chatting with Bumpy

Exclusively caught up with the director of Luv Ka The End who shared his views on Ali Zafar and why he was chosen for this particular role

Why did you choose him for this project?

I had heard about Ali as a singer and I used to like a couple of his songs back in the days when I was working for MTV. For the role of Freddie Kapoor, I wanted someone good looking like Ranbir Kapoor but apart from the looks, I wanted him to also know his music. When I came to know that Ali was already spending time in India doing one movie with YRF, I thought it was a good opportunity to meet with the guy. I spoke to Ashish Patel about it. Then, Ram Sampath (composer) and I went to see him in his hotel where we explained what we were looking for and we recorded a melody on his phone. In no time, he added a second parallel melody layer to it and totally gave it an Elvis feel.

How was your experience of working with Ali?

It has been wonderful. Ali is not only good looking but he is also a very gifted actor. I always thought he was only a singer until I watched Tere Bin Laden.

The character Ali plays is very similar to the real life Ali. Did you mould the role to according to Ali’s image?

Ali Zafar was a perfect match for the character. However, it would be safe to say the role was modified for Ali Zafar. The character he plays is every boy’s dream and every girl’s fantasy. He plays many instruments and is a singer, songwriter, musician, composer, and model. Nobody could have pulled this role of a rockstar better than Ali.

Any future assignments with Ali?

I really hope so. Ali has an air of ‘do’ about him. He is just amazing. I would love to work with him in future.

Imran Khan on Ali Zafar

"Ali Zafar is playing my brother (in Mere Brother Ki Dulhan) and I’ve been having a lot of fun working with him. It turns out he’s a really funny guy in real life! He has a really dry, deadpan sense of humor, and really enjoys messing with people, kind of like Punit (director of I Hate Luv Storys). So half the time I’m laughing, the other half of the time I’m begging him to stop before someone punches him. Again, like Punit."

Katrina Kaif on Ali Zafar

"The most important thing about him is that he is talented and as an artist you really respect that. Even during our lunch breaks he would just start composing a song and play his guitar.

Reactions: nrbhayo