William Wordsworth Quotations

• Work-from-home

Cute-Angel

Jan 20, 2009
Italy
A multitude of causes unknown to former times are now acting with a combined force to blunt the discriminating powers of the mind, and unfitting it for all voluntary exertion to reduce it to a state of almost savage torpor.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

The things which I have seen I now can see no more.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

To begin, begin.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

That though the radiance which was once so bright be now forever taken from my sight. Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower. We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

What we need is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

The child is father of the man.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Faith is a passionate intuition.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Life is divided into three terms - that which was, which is, and which will be. Let us learn from the past to profit by the present, and from the present to live better in the future.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

For I have learned to look on nature, not as in the hour of thoughtless youth, but hearing oftentimes the still, sad music of humanity.
William Wordsworth

Cute-Angel

Jan 20, 2009
Italy
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

How does the Meadow flower its bloom unfold? Because the lovely little flower is free down to its root, and in that freedom bold.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

I listened, motionless and still; And, as I mounted up the hill, The music in my heart I bore, Long after it was heard no more.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

In modern business it is not the crook who is to be feared most, it is the honest man who doesn't know what he is doing.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

In modern business it is not the crook who is to be feared most, it is the honest man who doesn't know what he is doing.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Nature never did betray the heart that loved her.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Not without hope we suffer and we mourn.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

One impulse from a vernal wood May teach you more of man, Of moral evil and of good, Than all the sages can.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting. Not in entire forgetfulness, and not in utter nakedness, but trailing clouds of glory do we come.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Pictures deface walls more often than they decorate them.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Rapine, avarice, expense, This is idolatry; and these we adore; Plain living and high thinking are no more.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Suffering is permanent, obscure and dark, And shares the nature of infinity.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

The flower that smells the sweetest is shy and lowly.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

The best portion of a good man's life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

That best portion of a man's life, his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

The human mind is capable of excitement without the application of gross and violent stimulants; and he must have a very faint perception of its beauty and dignity who does not know this.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

The mind that is wise mourns less for what age takes away; than what it leaves behind.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

The ocean is a mighty harmonist.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

The world is too much with us; late and soon, getting and spending, we lay waste our powers: Little we see in Nature that is ours.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

To me the meanest flower that blows can give thoughts that do often lie too deep for tears.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

What is pride? A rocket that emulates the stars.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

When from our better selves we have too long been parted by the hurrying world, and droop. Sick of its business, of its pleasures tired, how gracious, how benign in solitude.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Wisdom is oftentimes nearer when we stoop than when we soar.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony, and the deep power of joy, we see into the life of things.
William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

“We have within ourselves
Enough to fill the present day with joy,
And overspread the future years with hope.”

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

“The best portion of a good man's life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love”

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

“Life is divided into three terms - that which was, which is, and which will be. Let us learn from the past to profit by the present, and from the present to live better in the future.”

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

“Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility”

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

“The silence that is in the starry sky,
The sleep that is among the lonely hills.”

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

“Look for the stars, you'll say that there are none;
Look up a second time, and, one by one,
You mark them twinkling out with silvery light,
And wonder how they could elude the sight!”

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

“My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky.”

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.”

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

“That though the radiance which was once so bright be now forever taken from my sight. Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower. We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind.”

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

“And, when the stream
Which overflowed the soul was passed away,
A consciousness remained that it had left,
Deposited upon the silent shore
Of memory, images and precious thoughts
That shall not die, and cannot be destroyed.”

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

“Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.”

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

“For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.”

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

“Nature never did betray The heart that loved her”

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

“In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts bring sad thoughts to the mind.”

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

“Suffering is permanent, obscure and dark, And shares the nature of infinity”

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

“What we need is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out.”

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

“Action is transitory a step, a blow, The motion of a muscle, this way or that 'Tis done, and in the after-vacancy We wonder at ourselves like men betrayed”

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

“Her eyes as stars of twilight fair;
Like twilight's, too, her dusky hair. . . .”

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

“[A] mind forever Voyaging through strange seas of Thought, alone.”

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

“There is a comfort in the strength of love;
'T will make a thing endurable, which else
Would overset the brain, or break the heart. . . .”

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

“A perfect woman, nobly planned,
To warn, to comfort, and command;
And yet a Spirit still, and bright
With something of angelic light.”

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

“Wisdom is oftentimes nearer when we stoop than when we soar.”

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

“Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness.”

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

“The dew was falling fast, the stars began to blink;/ I heard a voice; it said `Drink, pretty creature, drink!'”

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

“Whether we be young or old,Our destiny, our being's heart and home,Is with infinitude, and only there;With hope it is, hope that can never die,Effort and expectation, and desire,And something evermore about to be.”

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

“Neither evil tongues, Rash judgments, nor the sneers of selfish men, Nor greetings where no kindness is, nor all The dreary intercourse of daily life, Shall e'er prevail against us”

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

“Thought and theory must precede all salutary action; yet action is nobler in itself than either thought or theory”

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

“I wandered lonely as a cloud / That floats on high o'er vales and hills, / When all at once I saw a crowd, / A host, of golden daffodils.”

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

“A man he seems of cheerful yesterdays And confident tomorrows”

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

“Not in Utopia, -- subterranean fields, --
Or some secreted island, Heaven knows where!
But in the very world, which is the world
Of all of us, -- the place where in the end
We find our happiness, or not at all!”

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

“What are fears but voices airy?
Whispering harm where harm is not.
And deluding the unwary
Till the fatal bolt is shot!”

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

“. . . I would stand,
If the night blackened with a coming storm,
Beneath some rock, listening to notes that are
The ghostly language of the ancient earth,
Or make their dim abode in distant winds.
Thence did I drink the visionary power;
And deem not profitless those fleeting moods
Of shadowy exultation: not for this,
That they are kindred to our purer mind
And intellectual life; but that the soul,
Remembering how she felt, but what she felt
Remembering not, retains an obscure sense
Of possible sublimity. . . .”

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

“When from our better selves we have too long been parted by the hurrying world, and droop. Sick of its business, of its pleasures tired, how gracious, how benign in solitude.”

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

“What is pride? A rocket that emulates the stars”

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Wisdom and spirit of the Universe!
Thou soul is the eternity of thought!
That giv'st to forms and images a breath
And everlasting motion! Not in vain
By day or star-light thus from by first dawn
Of childhood didst thou intertwine for me
The passions that build up our human soul,
Not with the mean and vulgar works of man,
But with high objects, with enduring things,
With life and nature, purifying thus
The elements of feeling and of thought,
And sanctifying, by such discipline
Both pain and fear, until we recognize
A grandeur in the beatings of the heart.

William Wordsworth

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

She was a phantom of delight
When first she gleam'd upon my sight;
A lovely apparition, sent
To be a moment's ornament.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

That best portion of a good man's life,
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

That best portion of a good man's life, His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

The best portion of a good man's life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be not forever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
Grief not, rather find,
Strength in what remains behind,
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be,
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of Human suffering,
In the faith that looks through death
In years that bring philophic mind.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

But an old age serene and bright, and lovely as a Lapland night, shall lead thee to thy grave.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

"The Child is father of the Man;
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety."

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

"Imagination, which in truth
Is but another name for absolute power
And clearest insight, amplitude of mind,
And reason, in her most exalted mood."

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

"The child is father of the man."

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

"Instruct them how the mind of Man becomes
A thousand times more beautiful than the earth
On which he dwells,"

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

"My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:"

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

"Nuns fret not at their convent's narrow room;"

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

"Through love, through hope, and faith's transcendent dower,
We feel that we are greater than we know."

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

"In truth the prison, unto which we doom
Ourselves, no prison is:"

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

"Still glides the Stream, and shall for ever glide;
The Forms remains, the Function never dies;"

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

"One of those heavenly days that cannot die;"

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

"Will no one tell me what she sings?—
Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
For old, unhappy, far-off things,
And battles long ago:"

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

"Breathing with such suppression of the heart
As joy delights in; and, with wise restraint"

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

"A voice so thrilling ne'er was heard
In spring-time from the Cuckoo-bird,
Breaking the silence of the seas
Among the farthest Hebrides."

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

"In that sweet mood when pleasure loves to pay
Tribute to ease; and, of its joy secure,
The heart luxuriates with indifferent things,
Wasting its kindliness on stocks and stones,
And on the vacant air."

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

"The glory and the freshness of a dream."

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

"The music in my heart I bore,
Long after it was heard no more."

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

"Behold the Child among his new-born blisses,
A six years' Darling of a pigmy size!"

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

"We murder to dissect."

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

"Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:"

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

"One impulse from a vernal wood
May teach you more of man,
Of moral evil and of good,
Than all the sages can."

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

"Earth fills her lap with pleasures of her own;"

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

"No fountain from its rocky cave
E'er tripped with foot so free;
She seemed as happy as a wave
That dances on the sea."

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

"Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;"

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

"The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers."

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

"Thou, whose exterior semblance doth belie
Thy Soul's immensity;
Thou best Philosopher, who yet dost keep
Thy heritage, thou Eye among the blind,
That, deaf and silent, read'st the eternal deep,
Haunted for ever by the eternal mind,—"

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

"Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers."

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

"The Rainbow comes and goes,
And lovely is the Rose,"

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

"I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn."

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

"And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!
Shades of the prison-house begin to close"

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

"The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:"

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

"The homely Nurse doth all she can
To make her Foster-child, her Inmate Man,
Forget the glories he hath known,
And that imperial palace whence he came."

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

"Two voices are there; one is of the Sea,
One of the Mountains; each a mighty Voice:
In both from age to age Thou didst rejoice,
They were thy chosen Music, Liberty!"

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

"To me alone there came a thought of grief;
A timely utterance gave that thought relief,
And I again am strong:"

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

"Type of the wise, who soar, but never roam—
True to the kindred points of Heaven and Home!"

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

"And fade into the light of common day."

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

"But an old age serene and bright,
And lovely as a Lapland night,
Shall lead thee to thy grave."

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

"Thou little Child, yet glorious in the might
Of heaven-born freedom on thy being's height,
Why with such earnest pains dost thou provoke
The years to bring the inevitable yoke,"

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

"Come, blessed barrier between day and day,
Dear mother of fresh thoughts and joyous health!"

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

"Whither is fled the visionary gleam?
Where is it now, the glory and the dream?"

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

"Thrice welcome, darling of the Spring!"

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

"O Cuckoo! shall I call thee Bird,
Or but a wandering Voice?"

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

"O joy! that in our embers
Is something that doth live,"

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

"And thou wert still a hope, a love;
Still longed for, never seen."

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

"Hence in a season of calm weather
Though inland far we be,
Our Souls have sight of that immortal sea
Which brought us hither,"

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

"Thou unassuming common-place
Of Nature, with that homely face."

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

"The thought of our past years in me doth breed
Perpetual benediction: not indeed
For that which is most worthy to be blest—
Delight and liberty, the simple creed
Of Childhood, whether busy or at rest,
With new-fledged hope still fluttering in his breast:—"

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

"Thou hast left behind
Powers that will work for thee; air, earth, and skies;
There's not a breathing of the common wind
That will forget thee; thou hast great allies;
Thy friends are exultations, agonies,
And love, and man's unconquerable mind."

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

"some little plan or chart,
Some fragment from his dream of human life,
Shaped by himself with newly-learned art;"

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

"She seemed a thing that could not feel
The touch of earthly years."

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

"let the young Lambs bound
As to the tabor's sound!"

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

"A simple child,
That lightly draws its breath,
And feels its life in every limb,
What should it know of death?"

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

"As if his whole vocation
Were endless imitation."

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

"'But they are dead; those two are dead!
Their spirits are in heaven!'
'Twas throwing words away; for still
The little maid would have her will,
And said, 'Nay, we are seven!'"

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

"The things which I have seen I now can see no more."

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

"When men change swords for ledgers, and desert
The student's bower for gold, some fears unnamed
I had, my Country—am I to be blamed?"

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

"Those shadowy recollections,
Which, be they what they may,
Are yet the fountain light of all our day,
Are yet a master light of all our seeing;"

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

"Where lies the Land to which yon Ship must go?"

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

"The innocent brightness of a new-born Day
Is lovely yet;
The Clouds that gather round the setting sun
Do take a sober colouring from an eye
That hath kept watch o'er man's mortality;"

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

"The homely beauty of the good old cause
Is gone;"

Cute-Angel

Jan 20, 2009
Italy
"In the faith that looks through death,
In years that bring the philosophic mind."

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

"The wealthiest man among us is the best:"

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

"Stern Daughter of the Voice of God!
O Duty! if that name thou love,
Who art a light to guide, a rod
To check the erring, and reprove;"

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

"The cattle are grazing,
Their heads never raising;
There are forty feeding like one!"

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

"No motion has she now, no force;
She neither hears nor sees;
Rolled round in earth's diurnal course,
With rocks, and stones, and trees."

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

"Like an army defeated

The snow hath retreated,"

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

"And therefore does not stoop, nor lie in wait
For wealth, or honors, or for worldly state;"

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

"Once did She hold the gorgeous East in fee;
And was the safeguard of the West:"

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

"'Twill soothe us in our sorrow
That earth has something yet to show,
The bonny holms of Yarrow!'"

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

"Who is the happy Warrior? Who is he
That every man in arms should wish to be?
It is the generous spirit, who, when brought
Among the tasks of real life, hath wrought
Upon the plan that pleased his boyish thought:
Whose high endeavors are an inward light
That makes the path before him always bright:
Who, with a natural instinct to discern
What knowledge can perform, is diligent to learn;
And in himself posses his own desire;"

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

"And, when she took unto herself a Mate,
She must espouse the everlasting Sea."

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

"Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This city now doth, like a garment, wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres and temples lie
Open unto the fields and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air."

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

"Men are we, and must grieve when even the Shade
Of that which once was great, is passed away."

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

"This city now doth, like a garment, wear
The beauty of the morning; silent bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres and temples lie
Open unto the fields and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air."

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

"A multitude of causes unknown to former times are now acting with a combined force to blunt the discriminating powers of the mind, and unfitting it for all voluntary exertion to reduce it to a state of almost savage torpor."

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

"Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!"

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

"We poets in our youth begin in gladness;
But thereof comes in the end despondency and madness."

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

"Not without hope we suffer and we mourn."

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

"'How is it that you live, and what is it you do?'"

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

"The light that never was, on sea or land,
The consecration, and the Poet's dream;"

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

"Choice word and measured phrase, above the reach
Of ordinary men; a stately speech;
Such as grave livers do in Scotland use,"

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

"A deep distress hath humanized my Soul."

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

"The oldest man he seemed that ever wore grey hairs."

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

"The rapt One, of the godlike forehead,
The heaven-eyed creature sleeps in earth:
And Lamb, the frolic and the gentle,
Has vanished from his lonely hearth."

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

"I thought of Chatterton, the marvellous boy,
The sleepless soul that perished in his pride;
Of him who walked in glory and in joy
Following his plough, along the mountain side:
By our own spirits are we deified:
We poets in our youth begin in gladness;
But thereof come in the end despondency and madness."

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

"Our haughty life is crowned with darkness,
Like London with its own black wreath,"

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

"But how can he expect that others should
Build for him, sow for him, and at his call
Love him, who for himself will take no heed at all?"

Cute-Angel

Jan 20, 2009
Italy
"No master spirit, no determined road;
But equally a want of books and men!"

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

"And mighty poets in their misery dead."

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

"Great men have been among us; hands that penn'd
And tongues that utter'd wisdom—better none:"

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

"The good old rule
Sufficeth them, the simple plan,
That they should take, who have the power,
And they should keep who can."

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

"The darkest pit
Of the profoundest hell, chaos, night,
Nor aught of blinder vacancy scooped out
By help of dreams can breed such fear and awe
As fall upon us often when we look
Into our minds, into the mind of man."

Cute-Angel

Jan 20, 2009
Italy
"Strange fits of passion have I known:"

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

"Scorn not the sonnet; critic, you have frowned,
Mindless of its just honors; with this key
Shakespeare unlocked his heart;"

Cute-Angel

Jan 20, 2009
Italy
''Scorn not the sonnet; critic, you have frowned,
Mindless of its just honors; with this key
Shakespeare unlocked his heart;''

Cute-Angel

Jan 20, 2009
Italy