Musharraf's Exclusive Interview!

• Work-from-home

Hoorain

*In search of Oyster Pearls*
VIP
Dec 31, 2009
A n3st!

General Pervez Musharraf has been warned that if he returns to Pakistan, he will face arrest.
Credit: Getty Images

General Pervez Musharraf was the president of Pakistan, a leading American ally in the war on terror, from 2001-2008. He then voluntarily resigned before what many observers saw as politically motivated impeachment proceedings could be started against him, and went into self-imposed exile. But he has now declared his intention to return to Pakistan on March 24 to contest forthcoming presidential elections.

He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2004 for his support on the war on terror and spoke strongly against Islamic terrorism in the wake of the 9/11 attacks on the United States.

He has been warned that if he returns to Pakistan he faces arrest warrants for allegedly failing to provide adequate security which led to the assassination of former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.
But the General has told supporters of his All Pakistan Muslim League political party that he would improve Pakistan’s economy and strengthen foreign investment in the country.
Here, in this exclusive interview, he speaks to Metro as he finalizes preparations to return to his homeland.
What is ailing Pakistan at this time?
Terrorism, especially sectarian terrorism. Law and order has failed especially in places like Balochistan and Karachi. The economy has broken down and there is not enough economic stability and jobs. That is the backbone of a stable country and it has broken down. Also, tensions with India remain.

What do you want to accomplish by your return, and why go now?
Pakistan is a very large country and an important regional player. When I was president I wanted to achieve for Pakistan internal security and stability, regional peace, international acceptability and an improvement and amelioration within the Muslim world.
Internal stability would allow us to examine the welfare and well-being of the population. Why go back now? The elections are to be held in the next few months according the constitution and it is now or never for me. If I am not there to stand for election it will be another five years until I have a chance do so.

What are your chances of success?
If you listen to the commentators they will tell you that my party does not have the internal structure to fight an election. It is simply not true. We are established with organizations across the country and some major political players are just waiting for my return to offer their support. There are a number of people and organizations that I call floaters in Pakistan, and my return will bring hope to them and the chance to work together. Only I can do this. Many people are clamoring for me to return. I would say I have a 50/50 chance of success.

Why are you taking this risk, which must also be physical?
After 9/11 I was resigned to personal risk on a daily basis. It was something that became part of my routine. Because I am ex-president of Pakistan, the authorities must provide me with some security when I return — but of course I also have my own arrangements. I have faith that life and death is out of my hands and I have a duty to return to my country to deal with its problems.
There are legal charges against you in Pakistan, a residue of your presidency. How will you deal with this obstacle?
I will simply appeal to the judicial process. One has to have faith in the courts even though there is a history of judicial activism. I am 100 percent confident that these false, trumped-up and politically motivated charges against me will be thrown out.

With significant U.S. troop withdrawals scheduled, how do you see the strategic situation in Afghanistan playing out over the next, say, three years?
If the U.S. and coalition forces leave lock stock and barrel then after 2014 I can see one of several things happening: a return to how Afghanistan was from 1986-1997, which was vicious tribal warfare — the various ethnic groups fighting each other — or the return of the Pushtun Taliban versus the Northern Alliance of minorities in Afghanistan.
If, however, the U.S. leaves some forces, with air and special forces support which is made available to the Afghan National Army, I can foresee a situation remaining as it is now — not a win and not a loss with the Taliban held at bay.
Otherwise I can see a proxy war being fought in Afghanistan between India and Pakistan. India is active in Afghanistan trying to create an active anti-Pakistan country. Pakistan is logically doing all it can to stop this.

With both U.S. and Israeli military strikes possible, Iran and its nuclear program have been frequently in the news. Pakistan shares a border with Iran. Why should Pakistan be allowed to keep the nuclear weapons it possesses, when Iran, its neighbor, should not?
You cannot compare the two. Pakistan developed nonconventional weapons as a deterrent, as purely a defensive measure. Pakistan faces an existential threat: India. We have fought three wars with India since independence in 1947.
We are the two giants in the region, and it is important that war between us should become unthinkable — which is why we justify our nuclear capability.
Iran has no such similar reason for having nuclear weapons. There is no similar existential threat to Iran as there is to Pakistan, so they cannot want a nuclear program for defensive reasons.

What are the causes of the deterioration in relations between Pakistan and the United States? What could you do to improve them?
I had good relations with George W. Bush to the extent that I could call him up at any time to discuss problems or make suggestions. I believe that trust has been lost somewhat. Pakistan and the U.S. need to restore that level of honesty and trust as Pakistan is such an influence in the region. There needs to be open dialogue, and we need to be honest and transparent with each other once again.

Previously, you were Pakistan’s chief executive. What would you do differently?
The question presumes that there are many things I would do differently. Not necessarily. When I was president, the internal security situation was far more stable than it is now. The economy was growing and there was jobs for the people. Prices were stable and we had consistent gas and electricity supplies and prices. We were able to focus on the welfare of the people, internally. So far as our relationships with India are concerned, I would seek to restart the process of rapprochement I had begun when I was president. We could have signed treaties on two of the major issues that divided us and were working towards a solution in Kashmir, but these opportunities arise, but do not always stay. If they are missed they can be gone. I would try again with India. We are the two biggest countries in the region. We could deliver a huge boost to regional security, stability and economy if we could settle our differences and that is what I would try to do.

Source: http://www.metro.us/newyork/news/international/2013/03/19/metro-exclusive-interview-general-pervez-musharraf/

lecollezioni

Mar 12, 2013
sardinia
a dictator turned into a democrat which means now he's a politician n politicians r blood sucking creatures who are only good at lieing :p

lecollezioni

Mar 12, 2013
sardinia
was he not politician at the time when he was in power?
nope cause he was an army general and he didn't belong to any political party nor he was affiliated to any but during the later part of his government he turned into a democrat when he retired from the army n at that point he started his political career but now he's complete politician who's representing his own political party.

Hoorain

VIP
Dec 31, 2009
A n3st!
nope cause he was an army general and he didn't belong to any political party nor he was affiliated to any but during the later part of his government he turned into a democrat when he retired from the army n at that point he started his political career but now he's complete politician who's representing his own political party.
for how long he was in power after retirement?

Hoorain

VIP
Dec 31, 2009
A n3st!
don't remember exactly y ?
because u said after his retirement he turned into democrate n now a complete politician,,that's y i was just trying to know how long he was in power after retirement ,,cauz i think he retired from presidency the same year when he got retirement from army, i m not sure though!
i dont like politics n politicians..
but honestly speaking i remember a lot of good works of musharraf's presidency era especially in education n employment sectors{(popcorn)}
he has logical proves n answers for whatever being asked to him,he is brave,well educated,sensible, he is a man of his words!

Reactions: Atif-adi

lecollezioni

Mar 12, 2013
sardinia
because u said after his retirement he turned into democrate n now a complete politician,,that's y i was just trying to know how long he was in power after retirement ,,cauz i think he retired from presidency the same year when he got retirement from army, i m not sure though!
i dont like politics n politicians..
but honestly speaking i remember a lot of good works of musharraf's presidency era especially in education n employment sectors{(popcorn)}
he has logical proves n answers for whatever being asked from him,he is brave,well educated,sensible, he is man of his words!
obviously before retiring from army, he was a dictator who took over from nawaz sharif by toppling his govt. well even i don't remember when he retired from army n how long he was president after retiring but i guess it was for two to three years...
well politics is a dirty business infact its a whole world. sorry i disagree with u on this cause he was an american infact all of them are american puppets no one is worth it to vote for everybody's same

Hoorain

VIP
Dec 31, 2009
A n3st!
obviously before retiring from army, he was a dictator who took over from nawaz sharif by toppling his govt. well even i don't remember when he retired from army n how long he was president after retiring but i guess it was for two to three years...
well politics is a dirty business infact its a whole world. sorry i disagree with u on this cause he was an american infact all of them are american puppets no one is worth it to vote for everybody's same
ahan so now to whom do u want to vote this time?{(popcorn)}

Atif-adi

-{عادي}-{Adi}-
VIP
Oct 1, 2009
Sharjah, U.A.E
great personality :) definately ager vote dena para to musharaf ko hi dunga :)
other then that i like imran khan, baki sab hai pan ki dukan :p

Reactions: hoorain

lecollezioni

Mar 12, 2013
sardinia
Dear Lecollezioni, Why don't you step in politics. Let see what you got for Pakistan.
i guess u didn't read ma post carefully had u read it carefully enough, wouldn't have said this. that's exactly what i meant n not just me everybody should do it cause its not only ma country it yours as well n if we wish to see it among the leading nations of the world then its imperative that we should take the charge in our own hands n stop relying on others mate

HorrorReturns

Banned
Mar 27, 2013
i guess u didn't read ma post carefully had u read it carefully enough, wouldn't have said this. that's exactly what i meant n not just me everybody should do it cause its not only ma country it yours as well n if we wish to see it among the leading nations of the world then its imperative that we should take the charge in our own hands n stop relying on others mate
Dear lecollezioni, what do you suggest to change current system of Pakistan.

lecollezioni

Mar 12, 2013
sardinia
Dear lecollezioni, what do you suggest to change current system of Pakistan.
there are alot of things which i can suggest but the point is, it is very easy for u n me to sit over here n talk just like other people but a real patriot doesn't believe in words a real patriot is one who believes in practicality. but here are a few factors for u since u've asked. corruption is the main hurdle in the development of Pakistan n its solely because of the existing political system n once we fix it by bringing honest people, everything will then be a piece of cake...

Reactions: hoorain

HorrorReturns

Banned
Mar 27, 2013
there are alot of things which i can suggest but the point is, it is very easy for u n me to sit over here n talk just like other people but a real patriot doesn't believe in words a real patriot is one who believes in practicality. but here are a few factors for u since u've asked. corruption is the main hurdle in the development of Pakistan n its solely because of the existing political system n once we fix it by bringing honest people, everything will then be a piece of cake...
In my views religion is main thing which stops pakistan from progressing. People are fools and fascistics. They start killing people in the name of religion.

Hoorain

VIP
Dec 31, 2009
A n3st!
no one really cause nobody's deserving. instead of voting for crappy politicians we sshould think of bringing up ourselves to the level where we can defeat corrupt people n replace them with honest ones that's what i believe in.
ahan well said,,what do u have in mind to get that point?

lecollezioni

Mar 12, 2013
sardinia
In my views religion is main thing which stops pakistan from progressing. People are fools and fascistics. They start killing people in the name of religion.
no offences mate but i think u r a fool who thinks that Muslims r behind all these terrorist activities no sir, Islam literally means peace n whosoever is indulged in terrorist activities is not a Muslim, its all fabricated stories which u see n hear on media if u really wana find out who is behind all this then read what ex-CIA officials n analyst have to say on this n y they say what they say...so here's a suggestion for u mate first carefully analyse everything n then blame anyone or anything..[DOUBLEPOST=1364905532][/DOUBLEPOST]
ahan well said,,what do u have in mind to get that point?
my idea is to make a political party n give ticket to only those members who r educated no matter what field of education they belong whether medicine,business etc. n these days its so easy to do it but inorder to do that first i'll have to raise ma own level of education which em currently working n then comes ma next step..

Hoorain

VIP
Dec 31, 2009
A n3st!
no offences mate but i think u r a fool who thinks that Muslims r behind all these terrorist activities no sir, Islam literally means peace n whosoever is indulged in terrorist activities is not a Muslim, its all fabricated stories which u see n hear on media if u really wana find out who is behind all this then read what ex-CIA officials n analyst have to say on this n y they say what they say...so here's a suggestion for u mate first carefully analyse everything n then blame anyone or anything..[DOUBLEPOST=1364905532][/DOUBLEPOST]
my idea is to make a political party n give ticket to only those members who r educated no matter what field of education they belong whether medicine,business etc. n these days its so easy to do it but inorder to do that first i'll have to raise ma own level of education which em currently working n then comes ma next step..
Very Impressive :)
Wish u All the best :-bd

Reactions: lecollezioni