dream girl

Khwabon se bahre Naina
VIP
Jul 30, 2008
ITALY
Simon advances to semi-finals at Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships
26 February 2009

Advertising Info
Gilles Simon brought down the curtain on the distinguished Dubai career of fellow Frenchman Fabrice Santoro on Thursday, defeating the 36-year old veteran they call ‘The Magician’ 7-6 6-1 in the quarter-finals of the Barclays Dubai Tennis Championships.

Santoro, who will retire at the end of the season, reached the first final held in 1993, falling to Czech Karol Novacek, and then won a remarkable final 10 years later when he rose from his sick bed to defeat Morocco’s Younes El Aynaoui. That remains his outstanding memory over his 17 years in Dubai.

“I think that’s the main one, because I remember that year, I was playing very good tennis, and I reached the final,” said Santoro. “And then the next 24 hours before the final was a tragic situation because I was feeling so bad. I was really, really sick, as sick as I’ve ever been in my life. Just a half hour before the match, I thought I wouldn’t be able to go on the court and I went out there, and two hours later, I came out with the trophy.”

Simon was pleased that Santoro was able to close out his Dubai adventure in style, playing a quarter-final and then receiving a model of an Arabian Dhow in a special presentation held on the court.

“I’m just sad because he’s going to stop at the end of the year,” said Simon. “His last tournament (at the Paris Masters), maybe I’m going to watch every match he’s going to play because you never know what one you’re going to lose. But I think it’s nice for him to play the last match (in Dubai) on the centre court and to receive a prize at the end.

“He did a great job for all the tennis players. He’s someone who is going to be missed by the public. He was a good tennis player. He’s still a good person, and I think we need people like him on the tour.”

Santoro also challenged well, at least for the first set. He built a 3-1 lead before third-seeded Simon swept the next four games, and then broke as Simon served for the set at 5-3. But Simon dominated the tiebreak and, having played a long match the day before, Santoro faded in the second set and lost the last six games.

“Well, I had a bad start again,” said Simon. “It’s not easy, because I have some problems with my serve. So finally he broke me in the third game. Finally I played better then. I was more confident. I was hitting the ball harder. But finally when I was 5-3 on my serve I played a very bad game. I just did four mistakes in a row.

“I don’t know why I am doing something like this at this moment, but finally I just wanted to fight again because I knew that if I won this one, then I will win the match. So that’s why I played a very good tiebreak. That’s why I really wanted to win the first set, because I knew if I won this then I win the match.”