My Dad’s the best: B'town gals

• Work-from-home

Huda

ĂĸŠ έ ĶĦυşЊŎŏ
VIP
Jan 30, 2009
Karachi
It’s Father’s Day... and to encourage you to express your feelings for your own parent, TOI asked five Bollywood heroines to talk about their love for their own Dads.

It’s amazing, mothers and daughters may share a special bond, but when it comes to ‘that’ man in a girl’s life — she always starts with Daddy-O as a role model... Here’s what these Bollywood hotties had to say about their Dads on Father’s Day.

Sonam Kapoor on father Anil Kapoor
‘Every girl says it. I feel it. My Dad is the best... because he treats me like I’m the best. I think Rudyard Kipling’s poem ‘If’ with its dos and don’ts on how to live life is the true definition of my relationship with my father. He’s so humble and focused and driven and passionate about his work. Like Dad, I put family above everything, then my work. My personal life comes third. My father tries to spend as much time as possible with me. He flew down to Edinburgh where I am shooting right now for my birthday earlier this month. He gifted me a gadget because he knows I’m crazy about them. Funny, I’ve never seen him buying anything for himself.’

Kareena Kapoor on father Randhir Kapoor
‘I don’t get to see as much of my Dad as I’d like to because I’m working round-the-clock. And he’s busy with his own thing. But he knows both my sister Karisma and I are there for him whenever he needs us. He had a heart problem seven years back and we were all there like one big family. Recently he was unwell again. And I was naturally concerned. But he quickly recovered. My Dad is a fighter and I’ve inherited the fighting spirit from him. Right now he’s on a cruise with family and friends. And I know he’s having a great time. That’s what makes me happy.’

Bipasha Basu on father Hirak Basu
‘My Dad is the most amazing man in the world. He wanted daughters, and he got three. He has given us the best possible upbringing. He has a great sense of humour and he keeps us sisters in splits even during the most trying times. He knows how to respect women. He has encouraged us and showed faith in all the choices we’ve made. I wish every woman gets a man like my Dad. Throughout his life, he has only wanted his wife and daughters to be happy. His own happiness came later. I looooooove my Papa. He’s the best.’

Priyanka Chopra on father Dr Ashok Chopra
‘My Dad was a doctor in the Army so we were always on the move. He taught me to drive at 13 when he’d take me to school. He’s a trained artiste, painter and singer. He used to be called the Singing Surgeon. He used to do shows for the Army. One of my earliest memories is of my Dad on stage looking at me and singing. If he didn’t look at me, I’d get miffed. I love singing. I’ve been trained in Western classical singing. I used to sing soprano in a choir. We are a conservative family. All this glamour and showbiz was new to my Dad. It was my Mom who told him about my plans. Initially he wasn’t convinced. But my Mom and I reasoned it was just a holiday in Mumbai and that I didn’t stand a chance in hell of winning the Femina Miss India. Who knew!’

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan on father Krishna Rai
‘My father has been a massive influence on my life. He is such a strong man... my source of inspiration. His faith in the power of healing is so strong. When my father was unwell he wouldn’t allow me to take time off to be near him. My parents are made of incredible substance. When I was toying with the idea of backing out of the World Concert with Abhishek and his parents, my Dad was like, “No way. Life goes on. There’s no way I’ll let you take steps back.” Nowadays I try to take my father with me wherever I can. He came with me to Paris when I went to honour tennis veteran Gustavo Kuerten because he is a big tennis fan.’