Injunctions on divorce

• Work-from-home

Sabah

VIP
Nov 20, 2008
Peshawar
Injunctions on divorce

SAYING Talaq three times to effect a divorce has become part of the psyche of some Muslims in South Asia, to have the word ready to be blurted out three times whenever stress is felt in the husband-wife relationship.

This act of pronouncing all three talaqs in one breath and its destructive and tragic fallout is the result of lack of knowledge about the injunctions on divorce in the Quran and hadith. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) is reported to have said that divorce is one of those permitted acts which is most disliked by God. When Hazrat Omar was the caliph, he used to punish those men severely who pronounced a three-in-one divorce. This is why if husband and wife cannot get along, two arbitrators, one from each side, should provide counselling to avoid a divorce (4: 35).

As a last resort, if steps have to be taken to bring about a divorce, then the prescribed method should be followed, which is to pronounce it once after the woman is clear of her monthly cycle. Then both should live in the same house (65: 1) for a month, during which time the husband will have the right to revoke the divorce. If he does not, he’ll have to pronounce a second divorce after one month. Then after the second monthly cycle is over, he will either have to revoke it or pronounce the divorce for the third and the final time, making it irrevocable: “…either the woman should be asked to stay honourably or asked to leave in the best way. It is not lawful for you to take back anything from what you have given them.”(2: 229) If the man initiates the divorce, he is not supposed to take back any of the dowry or mehr given at the time of marriage or later as gifts.

The presence of witnesses at the time of divorce is necessary to make the procedure of divorce complete: “And appoint two honest witnesses from among yourselves, and give testimony for God” (65: 2). The divorced woman should restrain herself for three months before she re-marries (2: 228). “If he divorces her (three times), she will not be lawful for him after this, until she marries another husband and if he (the second husband) divorces her, then there will be no blame on either if they re-marry.” (2: 230)If the woman marries another man, with good intentions, but the second husband divorces her as well, only then she may remarry the first husband.

In Surah Al-Baqarah, it is stated, “When you divorce women and they complete their period of waiting, do not prevent them from marrying the husbands of their choice, when they have agreed mutually, in a befitting manner”(2: 232). But in Pakistan, sometimes a man divorces his wife and when she re-marries, he accuses her of adultery and has her and her husband booked under Hudood Ordinances. This is made easier when the divorce is not registered officially.

In the case of khula, the unconditional right of the wife to initiate and obtain a divorce, she has to approach the relevant authorities(2: 229). This means if the husband and wife are not able to live together with love and harmony, the woman can ask for a divorce. When she sues for a divorce, without bringing any charges against the husband, she has to return the mehr and the husband is allowed to take it back.

There was the case of a beautiful woman, Jamilah bint Abi bin Salul, who came to the Prophet (PBUH) and conveyed to him that she could not bear to be with her husband, Thabit bin Qais. She found him unattractive. The Prophet (PBUH) asked her if she was willing to return whatever mehr he had given her. When she consented, he sent for her husband, discussed the matter with him and brought about a divorce between them.

In case pregnant women are divorced, there are instructions to treat them well, “…if they are pregnant spend on them till they lay down their burden” (65: 6). The father is responsible for all the needs of his child. During the time that the divorced wife nurses the child, the father should pay for the mother’s upkeep as well. The parents should cooperate in the matter of the children: “The mothers should nurse their children for a total of two years. This is for those who wish to complete the nursing period. And on him whose child it is, is (the responsibility of) feeding and clothing (even of the divorced, nursing mother), in a befitting manner” (2: 233).

So the proper way of giving a divorce is to pronounce it three times at intervals, once a month, for three months, in front of two witnesses, right after the woman’s monthly cycle is over, while she should be living in the same house as the husband. All the jewellery or wealth, etc., given to her will be her property.

In order to reform society and to protect husband and wife as well as their children from undue suffering, the Quranic method of giving a divorce should be explained by our scholars, who should be convinced to make people aware of the right and wrong methods of giving a divorce by mentioning these details in their sermons and lectures.

Oct 18, 2009
LoCk Me In YoUr HeArT
jazakaAllah Sabah..
bahot informative hay... bus Allah say dua krni chahiye k Allah hamay apnay or apnay Rasool SAW kay ehkamat per amal krnay ki taufeeq atta feramaiye...
Ameen

saviou

Aug 23, 2009
Jazakallah khair Sabah

aaj ye ek aisa masala hai jo mushre me mazakh bana hua hai

gair muslim haste hain hamare amal par jo aaj ho raha hai, aam logon ki to baat chore molvi mufti bade bade ohdon pe faiz loog aise fatwe dete hain samajh sharam se do chaat hojaye na Quran ko dekhte hain na Hadees bas apni manmaani kitne ghar ujad gaye kitne bachon ki zindagian tabah hogayi shadi karse loog katra rahe hain ye sab wajhe na insaafi la adl ki hai jo aaj olama aur jahil awaam isme mubtila hain

talaq ki wazahat Quran aur Hadees me maujood hai agar koi sharee tareeqe se talaq dena chahe to Allah ki qasam talaq hogi hi nahi Allah ne aise tareeqa rakha hai hamare andar usme aisi hikmat hai k phir shohar aur biwi ek hojayen lekin amal karta kaun hai

ek sath teen to kya tees lakh talaq bhi do to wo ek me hi shumar hoga aur phir us ki kayi shroot hain

insha Allah mukammal tafseel k sath ham bhi is mauzu k mutalliq yahan sher karenge

Allah hame deen ki sahi samajh aata farmaye Aameen

Noor_Afridi

Super Star
Feb 28, 2009
karachi
jizakAllah Sabah Allah Sab muSalamO kO hadayat Dedain
gerO k tareekO ChOr Allah Or OS k rasOol k batayeh hOyeh rastO par
Chalna sekha day Aameen

Don

Administrator
Mar 15, 2007
Toronto, Ca
very informative... thanks ..

but i have a question now...

Agar koi 2 dafa talaq kehne k baad, wapis apna relationship build up karna cahahe to kia yeh mumkin hai ? agar haan to kia karna parta hai us k lie ?

saviou

Aug 23, 2009
very informative... thanks ..

but i have a question now...

Agar koi 2 dafa talaq kehne k baad, wapis apna relationship build up karna cahahe to kia yeh mumkin hai ? agar haan to kia karna parta hai us k lie ?

bilkul do talaq k baad bhi ruju hosakte hain aur iska bohot hi aasaan tareeqa hai ham bas apke samne Quran ki aayat aur uspar thori si roshni dalte hain aap ko baat samajhme aajayegi insha Allah

Al-Baqara (2) Ayat (verse) No.: 229

الطَّلاَقُ مَرَّتَانِ فَإِمْسَاكٌ بِمَعْرُوفٍ أَوْ تَسْرِيحٌ بِإِحْسَانٍ وَلاَ يَحِلُّ لَكُمْ أَن تَأْخُذُواْ مِمَّا آتَيْتُمُوهُنَّ شَيْئاً إِلاَّ أَن يَخَافَا أَلاَّ يُقِيمَا حُدُودَ اللّهِ فَإِنْ خِفْتُمْ أَلاَّ يُقِيمَا حُدُودَ اللّهِ فَلاَ جُنَاحَ عَلَيْهِمَا فِيمَا افْتَدَتْ بِهِ تِلْكَ حُدُودُ اللّهِ فَلاَ تَعْتَدُوهَا وَمَن يَتَعَدَّ حُدُودَ اللّهِ فَأُوْلَـئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ

The divorce is twice, after that, either you retain her on reasonable terms or release her with kindness. And it is not lawful for you (men) to take back (from your wives) any of your Mahr (bridal-money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage) which you have given them, except when both parties fear that they would be unable to keep the limits ordained by Allah (e.g. to deal with each other on a fair basis). Then if you fear that they would not be able to keep the limits ordained by Allah, then there is no sin on either of them if she gives back (the Mahr or a part of it) for her Al-Khul' (divorce) . These are the limits ordained by Allah, so do not transgress them. And whoever transgresses the limits ordained by Allah, then such are the Zalimun (wrong-doers).

Ye talaqe do mar taba hai phir ya tu aacha e se rook nay a umdagi ke sath chordne na aur tum hi halal nahi ke tum ne unhi jo dediya hai us me se kuche bhi lou , han ye aur bath hai ke do no ku allah ki hade qayam na rakh sakne ka qaowf ho , is liye agar tumhi dar ho ke ye do no allah ki hade qayam na rakh saken ge to auorath riha e pane ke liye kuch de dalen , is me do no par gonah nahi ye allah ki hudood hain kabar dar un se aage na badna aur jo loog allah ki hudood se tajawiz kar jaye o zalim hai

Yani wo talaq jis me kawind ko ( eddath ke andhr ) rujoo ka haq hasil hai wo do martaba hai, pahli martaba talaq ke baad aur doosri martaba talaq ke baad bhi rujoo hosakta hai, teesri martaba talaq de ne ke baad ru joo ki ejazath nahi,

Zamane jahiliyath me ye haq talaq o rujoo gair mehdood tha jisse aurtu par bada zulm hota tha, aadmi bar bar talaq de kar rujoo kar ta rahta tha is tarah usse na basa ta than a azaad karta tha, Allah ne us zulm ka rasta ban kardiya, aur pehli ya doosri martaba sochne aur gaur karne ki sahulath se mahroom bhi nahi kiya, warna agar pehli martaba ki talaq me hi hamesha ke liye judai ka hukm de diya jata to usse paida hone wali muashrati masail ki pechidgiyon ka andaz hi nahi kiya jasakta, isliye Allha tala ne ( talaqatani ) ( do talaqen ) nahi farma ya bal ke ( attalaqu marratani ) ( talaq do martaba ) farmaya, jiss se is bath ki taraf isharah farmadiya ke bek waqt do ya teen talaqen dena aur unhe bek waqt nafiz kar dena hikmat e ilahi ke qilaf hai, hikmath e ilahi aisi bath ki muqtazi hai ke ek martaba talaq ke bad ( chahe wo ek ho ya kayi ek ) aur issi tarah dusri martaba talaq ke bad ( chahe wo ek ho ya kayi ek ) mard ko sochne samajhne aur jald bazi ya gusse me kiye gaye kaam ke izale ka mauqa diya jaye.

ye hikmath ek majlis ki teen talaqo ko ek talaq rajhi qarar dene me hi baqi rehti hai, na ke teeno ko bek waqth nafiz kar ke sochne aur galti ka izala karne ki saholath se mahroom kar dene ki surath me, ( tafsil ke liye mulahiza ho : kitab majmuaa muqalath almiyah babth – ek majlis ki teen talaq – aur , ekhtelaf umath aur sirate mustaqeem )

aur hame malum hona chahiye ke bahuth se olma ek majlis ki teen talaqon ke waqai hone hi ka fath wadete hai, halan ke ye quran k qilaf hai wallahu aalam

agar kuch puchna hai to puch sakte hain
aur insha Allah talaq par mukammal tafseel aur iske piche ki hikmat k mutallaq jald aap sabke samne ek thread banayenge

Allah hame deen ki sahi samajh aata farmaye Aameen

Reactions: Don