Davis Cup: India vs Pakistan

• Work-from-home

dream girl

Khwabon se bahre Naina
VIP
Jul 30, 2008
ITALY
Davis Cup: India vs Pakistan...........

nd Paes holds the Indian flag as he celebrates after winning the singles match against Pakistan's Aqeel Khan on the final day of the Davis Cup Paes registered a memorable 6-4, 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 0-6, 6-1 victory in three hours and 40 minutes to give India a thrilling 3-2 victory.

2.The 33-year-old Indian captain, playing the fifth rubber in place of Rohan Bopanna, fought off a severe bout of cramps to lead his team to victory.

Earlier in the day, Aisam Qureshi outlasted Prakash Amritraj 6-2, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in another high intensity encounter to draw Pakistan level in the tie.

Paes went down with cramps in the third set, gifted away the fourth as he waited for the medication to work and roared back after being two break-points down in the first game of the fifth set to clinch the tie.
The win helped India remain in Group One, while Pakistan will play China in the relegation play-off in September

Paes is congratulated by his team mates after the victory.

"When the chips are down you can't trust anyone better than Paes to do the job for India in Davis Cup," Mahesh Bhupathi said after the match.
"It's been an emotional week for me," said Paes, who became a father on Monday. "I am just happy we came through after putting the hard yards.

4.es also commended the effort Pakistan had put into the tie and said his opponent Aqeel Khan would have "jumped a notch" if he had been able to pull through and win the tie for Pakistan.

"There has been a lot of talk about individual players and sporting rivalry between the two teams and all that before the tie.

But today I have to tip my hat to the Pakistan team. They came here and gave everything they've got," he said.
"Aisam (Qureshi) is an accomplished player and has proven himself at this level. Aqeel could've done it today.

But I know how it feels to lose such a close match for your country.

He took his chances in the fourth set and I think we created history today at the Brabourne stadium."