Web Page Design

• Work-from-home

yoursks

Always different.., Confirm
VIP
Jul 22, 2008
دعاؤں میں
Web site designing is quite simple -
It's GOOD web site designing that's really tough!
That said, why is it that web designing so simple? It is because anyone who has a WYSIWYG HTML editor can easily churn out web pages one after the other without understanding the intricacies of web pages or web sites as a whole.

Optimal web page file size and optimizing web pages
Optimizing web pages is the most important aspect of web site design. An optimized web page loads quickly on the client system so your web site visitors can quickly get the information they had come for. Making visitors wait patiently while a Flash intro loads is a sure method of saying goodbye to them. Remember, the browser Back or Close Window buttons are just a click away! Does this mean that Flash intros should not be used? Now, that's a tough question... and you will find the answer in - Flash intros usage - The advantages and disadvantages.
What is the optimal page size? I have been asked this question so many times that I have lost count. In this article, you will learn what all contributes to the file size of a web page and thus, how long it takes to load on the visitors browser.

Structuring web sites - layout or a web site
Another question that I have been asked very often concerns the use of links on a web site - should one use relative or absolute URLs?.
Web site can start off as simple set of static HTML pages and if you are serious about your web presence, your site will in a matter of a few months will grow to tens, even hundreds, of web pages. Managing all those pages is not easy especially if you were not careful from the very beginning. Structuring web sites - web site design and layout looks at how you should segregate files on a web site which will stand you in good stead when your web site grows.

Color combinations
Your web site should reflect your company image correctly. The choice of colors is an important aspect in portraying this image. For example, red is usually avoided on financial web sites. Blues and grays have always been good choices for professional web sites. Here you will find more than 100 color combinations that you can use on your web site. You should typically test a color combination and maybe fine tune it for your web site because the color combination needs to complement the colors used in your logo.

Web page fonts
If you have this irrestible urge to use that beautiful looking scripty font on your web site -Don't!. Read more on browser compatible fonts - which fonts to use on web pages. I get so many emails from web designers who were "appalled" at how their web site looked on another computer. Don't make the simple mistake of assuming that your visitors will have that lovely font installed on their system or worse still, that your visitors will download and install it just because you have requested them to! - Will you do it... I dont think so, and so don't expect it from your visitors.
Obviously, there is a way to still use that beautiful font for text on your web site. You can simply make an image which will guarantee correct display across different browsers... however, the image would take much longer to load and the text will not be indexed by search engines. You can use the ALT attribute but it's not the same thing as good old text!
Note: Google has decreased the relevance of the ALT attribute for ranking web pages because of so many web developers trying to spam the search engine by stuffing the ALT attribute with keywords.