The Holy Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) Seeing and Hearing from distance

• Work-from-home

The_Dark_Knight

V.I.P Member
Apr 22, 2008
TM
It is the firm belief of the Ahl as-Sunnah wa 'l Jamaa'a that the Holy Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) hears the Salaat/Durood (Blessings) and Salaam (Salutations) that are sentto him. Furthermore, it is within His capabilities to see and hear events taking place far away. Imam Tibraani (rahmat allahi 'alaih) has recorded this Hadith narrated by Hadhrat Abu Darda (radi allahu 'anhu) : The Holy Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) said : "Increase your recitation of Durood on me on Friday because on this day Angels present themselves to me. There is no servant of Allah who recites Salutations upon me, except that his voice reaches me from wherever he is". The Companions asked even after your departure ? "He replied, Yes after my departure too, because Allah has made it Haraam upon the earth to consume the bodies of the Prophets". (Jila-ul Ifhaam, by Ibn Qayyim)
Imaam Abu Hanifa (radi 'allahu 'anhu) writes that Haaris ibn La'man and Haarisa bin Na'man (radi allahu 'anhuma) have said that,"Once I went to the Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam). The Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) asked me a question, 'Oh Haaris, in what state did you pass the day ?' I replied, 'As a true Muslim.' Then the Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) asked me the state of my Faith. I replied, 'I see the Throne of Allah and the people of Paradise helping each other and the people of Hell lamenting in Hell. I see in front of me Eight Heavens and Seven Hells as clear as idol worshippers see their idols. I can recognise each individual just like a grinder can recognise wheat from barley that is, who is to go to Paradise and who is to be found in Hell. In front of me people are like fish and ants. Shall I stay silent or continue to speak ?'" The Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) told him to stop and say no more. [Fiqah Akbar, Page 132 by Imam Abu Hanifa (radi allahu anhu)]
The above narration illustrates the sight of a Sahaabi (Blessed Companion of the Prophet). He could see the Throne of Allah, the Heavens, the Hells and their inmates !
It is recorded that Hadhrat 'Umar (radi allahu 'anhu) who was delivering a Khutba in Madina was able to see Hadhrat Sari’ah (radi allahu 'anhu) and the rest of the Muslim army who were in Persia. Hadhrat 'Umar (radi allahu 'anhu) called out a warning to Hadhrat Sari’ah (radi allahu anhu), who heard the calling of Hadhrath'Umar (radi allahu 'anhu). (Mishkaat Shareef - Babul Karaamat). This narration illustrates two points. Firstly, the Sahaabi was able to see what was happening hundreds of miles away. Secondly, the other Sahaabi was able to hear his call from hundreds of miles away.
The Hadith Shareef which states, "Beware the stare of the Mu'minfor he sees with the Light of Allah." (Mishkaat Shareef) tells us that the Mu'mineen (Spiritually elevated personalities) have been bestowed with Divine sight by Allah ta'aala. Allama Manawi (rahmat allahi 'alaih), explaining this Hadith states :
When the pious persons are diverted from human connection, they are adjoined with the superior assemblage (Angels); then they hear and see everything just like being present, whereupon it is evident that Almighty Allah has granted (this Bounty to) His favourites, ...
The following Hadith-e-Qudsi illustrates the point further, "My bondsman attains to My nearness through offering voluntary prayers to the extent that I make him My beloved. And then I become his hearing with which he hears, and I become his sight with which he sees, and I become his tongue with which he speaks, and I grant him whatever he asks of Me." (Bukhaari Shareef) [Also quoted in Fazaa'il-e-'Amaal by Moulvi Zakariyyah and Kamaalat-e-Ashrafiyya by Ashraf 'Ali Thanawi]
By way of explaining this Hadith-i-Qudsi, Imam Fakhruddeen Raazi (rahmat allahi 'alaih) says that eminence of a bondsman who becomes Allah's beloved is such that he sees and hears everything near or far and has sway over things, since according to Allah's command Allah's exclusive powers become such a bondsman's attributes.
This is the state of the Sahaaba, Mu'mineen and the Awliya (Saints). It is obvious that the status and powers of Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) are much more superior than that of the Sahaaba, Mu'mineen and the Awliya (Saints). So, if the above can be accomplished by His blessed Companions we are sure that it can be accomplished by Him. Addressing the Sahaaba (radi allahu 'anhuma) Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) proclaimed, "What I see you cannot see, and what I hear you cannot hear." (Tirmidhi Shareef)
The Holy Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) is reported to have said, "I saw Prophet Moosa in the valley of Azraq, while passing from Makka to Madina. He was reciting 'Talbiah' in a loud voice. On another occasion I saw Prophet Yunus wearing a long woolen overcoat and riding a red camel."(Ibn Majah, pp 20, 208)
In another Hadith the Holy Prophet (sallallhu 'alaihi wasallam) is described witnessing the Paradise and the Hell (Muslim Shareef, Volume 2, Page 180)
Jabir bin Samura (radi allahu 'anhu) reported Allah's Messenger (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) as saying, "I know the stone in Makkah which used to pay me Salutations before my advent as a Prophet and I know that even now." (Sahih Muslim, Kitab al-Fada'il, Hadith 5654). The Holy Prophet (sallallhu 'alaihi wasallam) whilst in Madina, was able to see andhear the stone in Makkah paying him Salutations. The stone is an inanimate object. Yet, Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) pays attention to even the stone's Salaam. We belong to His ummah. It is obvious that He recognises our Salaam !
Allama Imam Qastalani (rahmat allahi 'alaih) commentator of Bukhari Shareef, writes in his book Mawahib ul-ladunya and Imam Muhammad Ibn Hajar al-Makki (rahmatallahi 'alaih) writes in his book Madkhal, "There is no difference between the states of life and death of the Holy Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam), in his seeing his entire Ummah and his recognising of their states, their intentions and their minds, and all this is clear to him; there is no secret thereof of him." (Mawahib ul-ladunya Page 32, Madkhal Page 21)
Al-'arifu bi 'llah Sayyid Muhammad 'Uthman al-Mirghani al-Makki al-Hanafi (rahmat allahi 'alaih) (d. Mecca, 1268 A.H./1852) said on page 14 of his work Akrab at-turuki ila 'l-haqq, "Think of Rasoolullah's (sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam) presence facing you, his seeing and hearing you! Even if you are far away, Allahu Ta'ala makes your voice be heard and displays you. Here, being near or distant is the same.”
In his work Ar-rawd an-nadir 'Allama 'Abd ar-Ra'uf al- Manawi (rahmat allahi 'alaih) wrote, "After pure souls depart this life and are promoted to their places, nothing is a curtain before them. They see, or learn from Angels, everything. This is so mysterious that only few people are informed with it. While blessed souls are such, how the most superior of them is, i.e. Rasoolullah,should be pondered and understood well!'"
All this proves that it is within the capability of Prophets ('alaihimussalaam) to see and hear afar.

Reactions: nrbhayo