Interview with Katrina Kaif

• Work-from-home

unique-style

°Oº*ÑÅTû®ãll¥ ÛñîQûÉ*°Oº
VIP
Mar 15, 2007
Karachi-Pakistan

Model turned actress Katrina Kaif has finally moved beyond being known as Salman Khan's lady. Having bagged a number of films (she's particularly excited about the 'really different roles' in Anees Bazmee, David Dhawan, Abbas-Mustan, Vipul Shah and Samir Karnik's next), Katrina talks about her third big release (after Sarkar and Maine Pyaar Kyun Kiya), T-Series' HUMKO DEEWANA KAR GAYE, being distributed internationally by U T V. We catch her to find out more.
Tell us something about your big release, HUMKO DEEWANA KAR GAYE
It's about a girl who goes trousseau shopping, and unexpectedly meets a guy with whom she has an unexpected connection. Love is genuinely like that. It's not something that you anticipate or expect. The twist in the film lies in the fact that they are both engaged to other people. The movie then progresses on to deal with different types of love... you have love out of duty, you have love out of respect, love out of passion, and the choice one finally makes between duty, respect and your heart. And there in lies the beauty of the film. It's a romantic film, with slight elements of comedy. It's neither a slapstick like MAINE PYAAR KYUN KIYA or too serious like SARKAR.
The music of HUMKO DEEWANA KAR GAYE has become a big hit. What do you feel?
The film has lovely music and I'm glad it's doing well. It's at the top of the charts.

After Salman and Sushmita in your first film, how was your experience of working with Akshay Kumar and Bipasha Basu in HUMKO DEEWANA KAR GAYE?
Bipasha and I didn't have many scenes together. But she's a stunner. Akshay was very helpful. He made me feel extremely comfortable and helped a lot. HDKG was a brilliant experience and I am awaiting its release. I learnt more about cinema, filmmaking and the whole process.

You are considered to be one of the beautiful faces in the Indian film industry. What's beautiful to you?
Beauty for me does not mean faces, because that's subjective. I find a face beautiful, good looking, attractive, and all the terms you want to use, once I know them. The vibes from a person physically changes the appearance of the person for me. This may sound cliched but it works for me. A technically good-looking person will have no attraction for me if I find him or her boring and dull. Beauty or attraction is more about the whole person, if you know what I mean!
Still, there must be a few names that come to your mind with beauty?
Hmmm... Salma Hayek, I think, is very pretty, very natural. And although I haven't met Madhuri Dixit in person, I find her very beautiful on screen. I also find Manisha Koirala beautiful.
How would you describe yourself?
Moody... and a Cancerian to the boot. Even a small thing can change the entire mood, but I'm working on that. Besides, I'm also loyal and possessive.
Before coming to India from London and joining the film industry, what did Indian films mean to you?
Actually it wasn't much. I wasn't into it, and honestly, didn't feel the need to watch them. And so there was so much to learn when I came here - the expressions, the emotions. Since I didn't come with any preconceived notions about the craft, I can give a new approach to whatever I do here. Come to think of it, I was painfully shy as a child, totally into books and always scoring A + in every subject. My mother always thought that I would end up being a doctor or engineer, and was surprised to see me in the glamour business.
You debuted with a film in India, took to modelling and now are back in films. Are you still unsure about where you want to be?
No... that's just me. I am a free spirit. I didn't come here with films on my mind, but I did one, and decided to cool off from that experience. I then did modelling for two years with prestigious campaigns, and returned to films when I was ready for them again. I got to do what I want to do when I was in modelling and am doing what I want to do in films. It's as simple as that.
You avoid talking about Salman Khan. Why is that?
We respect each other's privacy. I'm answerable to the media for my professional life, not my personal life.
What are your fans like abroad?
Fans are all the same. Internationally, they are more excited because the Hindi film industry is so far away from them. They are all very sweet and always respond positively. I hope they all watch HUMKO DEEWANA KAR GAYE and like it. (Smiles).
(Humko Deewana Kar Gaye previews on April 13 in the UK with a full release on April 14)

Reactions: nrbhayo